Create these diy etched mason jar glasses for a personalized gift or for yourself. Follow these easy step-by-step instructions that will work for a variety of glass etching projects.
After my first glass etching project with my Wine Cork Holder Shadow Box went pretty well, I knew there would be more glass etching in my future. The holiday gift giving season gave me my next opportunity to try it out. My sister-in-law loves mason jars and she also appreciates handmade gifts, so I decided to make her some custom etched mason jar mugs. We keep mason jar mugs given to us by my husband’s grandmother in our freezer. They make great frosty mugs for all beverages – lemonade, soda, beer… you get it.
Glass etching is a really simple process. You can read another tutorial from my last etching project.
- Glasses with a smooth surface (I got my mason jar mugs at Hobby Lobby)
- Etching cream (I used Martha Stewart brand)
- Medium sized craft paint brush
- Rubbing alcohol and cotton balls or cloth
*Some supplies links may be linking to affiliate links on amazon.com or other retailers.
1) Clean your glass where you’ll be etching with rubbing alcohol and let it dry.
2) Adhere your stencil to your glass. I made my stencils using my Silhouette Cameo. (I love this thing!)
3) Apply the glass etching cream with a thick even layer inside your stencil. Be careful not to touch anywhere with it that you don’t want etched. I used my finger to even it out completely.
4) Let sit for 10 minutes and then wash off completely under running water. After patting dry, I repeated the process a second time just to make sure it was fully covered and even.
5) Pat dry again and remove the stencil. And… we’re done!
I still have a ton of etching cream left, so plain glass is no longer safe in this house. It’s so easy to do and a great way to personalize glassware.